Marketing views and experience with the difference

  MarketingStudies.net logo    
spacer Marketing views, news and experience with the difference Logo Logo
Subscribe to the infoMarketing e-zine

Providing strategic semi-monthly marketing diaries, views, commentary, ideas, studies and advice for the professional marketer. [more info l privacy]

RSS Content Feed What is this?
spacer
The Marketing Diary   l   The RSS Diary   l   RSS Marketing   

You are here: Home » The Marketing Diary » Various Marketing Ramblings » E-mail Spam and Delivery on the Rise

April 14, 2005

E-mail Spam and Delivery on the Rise

Yes, you've read the title correctly. According to some recent reports both spam and delivery are on the rise.

On one hand, ClickZ shares research results from a study by Postini, which discovered that spam volume in March grew 10% in comparison to March 2004, and is expected to reach 92% altogether by the end of 2005.

At least end-users are getting in to the flow with spam, as reported by a Pew study, which found that end-users are getting used to spam and it's bothering them less than it used to.

However, on the other hand, Internet Retailer (via MarketingVox) reports that retail and catalog marketers saw an overall delivery rate of 94% in Q4 2004, based on stats from Bigfoot Interactive Inc. It looks close to an all-time high for e-mail marketing ...

Good news for e-mail marketers?

Not neccessarily. Overall deliverability is defined as total e-mails minus all failures ... but the failures themselves contain only the e-mail returned to the sender, and not the actual messages that were stopped somewhere on the delivery route by various filters without actually being sent back.

Consequently, this does not actually mean that more e-mail is being delivered, but simply that less e-mail is being returned, which is by no means the same.

According to DoubleClick, 64.7% of all legitimate e-mail being sent (based on their own customers' stats) is never opened. That still leaves us with 35.3% actually being opened, but how much of that is then read?

But on a more positive note, Bigfoot Interactive did see clickghrough rates increase from 3.8% to 4.8%, which they atribute to better-crafted and timed promotional messages. So e-mail marketers are getting better ...

Comments
Post a comment

Related Articles

[November 14, 2005]
The Revolution in Online Conversions: Google Analytics

[November 14, 2005]
Don't Put Obstacles on Your Conversion Path

[November 2, 2005]
The Crazy Idea of Using Blogs for Business

[September 12, 2005]
The 7 Steps to Creating the Ultimate Small Business Marketing System

[August 2, 2005]
Heart Kids Blogathon

[July 14, 2005]
Authentication, Accreditation and Reputation for E-mail Marketers

[July 4, 2005]
How New Michigan and Utah Email Laws Affect You

[June 19, 2005]
A Great List of E-mail Marketing Vendors

[June 19, 2005]
Turning Your Blog in to a Traffic Engine

[May 10, 2005]
30% of All Slovenians Love Spam?

Recent Articles in iNet Marketing Article Database
Recent Articles

Introduction to Strategic Marketing Pillars

Marketing as an Integrated Communicational Process

The Marketing Strategy as the Essential Element

One-on-One Sales as the First Step

Constant Change

Unique Pre-Dispositions